Sunday, November 4, 2007

My First Ever Project


I've always wanted to be able to make something creative. I did a pretty good job of creating a few other human beings. But then they became teenagers and all of my creative energies went into trying to figure out how to make them listen to reason.

I decided that maybe I could do something like knitting. I don't know why I picked knitting. I remember my mother trying to teach me how to knit. It was a disaster. So I picked up the Instant Expert Knitting book to remind me how to cast on and knit or purl. After about a dozen frustrating attempts at trying to knit a scarf but ending up with something that looked like a sick amoeba, I gave up. I bought the Happy Hooker crochet book and discovered that crochet is not only fast, but more importantly, insanely easy! Why didn't anyone tell me?

My very first real project was a shawl. Not only did I crochet it myself, I did it without a pattern. I used yarn called Lion Suede (from Lion Brand), a 6mm hook and used a mesh stitch. I just kept crocheting until it seemed like the right size. I couldn't believe I had done it myself.

No comments: